Just happened upon your blog after digging around the web for thyroid sites. I have a little story to share that might inspire you.
A little over a year ago I had been taking Abilify, Zoloft, and Klonopin for two years because I was diagnosed as bipolar. I suffered from mood disorders galor for 10+ years prior to that. n my new meds, I gained 40 pounds and had a nagging sense that there was something else going on. At the time, I was being treated for Hashimoto’s, so that took a tiny edge off my symptoms, but I didn’t feel GOOD! In fact, I felt half dead.
I took a major mental leap and looked at my diet. I bought a cookbook (the whole life nutrition cookbook) since it looked nice. Turned out it was full of recipes that were gluten, dairy, and egg free. I read it like a text book and learned that many of my symptoms might be caused by gluten and dairy. I was fine with taking dairy about, but gluten!! NO!! I was the carb queen! And, after that reaction, I decided to cut out gluten and dairy for two weeks. It was really challenging! But I felt fan-freakin-tastic! When I ate gluten, my mood shifted, my joints ached, I had NO gut issues, and I slept for a few days in a row.
A little over a year later, here is what I’ve learned:
* Gluten makes me bi-polar, complete with suicidal ideation and massive panic attacks. When I ingest it (like wheat germ in lipstick, for example), I have to go back on meds for two weeks. My psychiatrist has never seen a case like mine.
* Corn and nuts bring about even more anxiety. I took them out for a week. I ate 5 corn flakes as a challenge and was riddled with anxiety for the next few hours.
*Eggs make my sinuses congested sometimes. My ears pop now when I eat them. Weird.
* Yeast makes my lymph nodes in my neck swell.
* Whiskey is fine! Whew! (distillation burns off the gluten)
* I fell off the wagon with my thryoid meds (after Armour was removed from the market) and have been feeling okay, but not super. I start on a new prescription this week. My thyroid hormones are back to normal (doc says it is because I’ve taken out all allergenic foods). I still have antibodies, though.
I was always dubious when I heard mothers talking to me about how their kid can’t eat yellow #5 and corn because it made them nuts. I was also dubious when I read about people who were uber sensitive to trace amounts of gluten. How ironic that I am one of those people. Food & mood can be inextricably linked.
So what do I eat? A Primal/Paleo diet. Meat and veggies all day long. It isn’t easy and it has been a long process of eliminating and reintroducing – trial and error. But I no longer feel like I’m the walking dead and it is so, so worth it.